Here is a basic camping checklist you can use to get started.
DO NOT FORGET: Tell someone where you are going and when you are expected back.
Not everything on here is a mandatory item and you may think of things that you would like to add. The perfect camping checklist may take years to perfect.
Remember the weather in Colorado can change suddenly. If you plan on doing some Colorado camping you will want to be prepared for all kinds of weather no matter what time of year it is. When car camping it's sometimes better to have to much stuff than not enough!
1. Tent – make sure it’s big enough to be comfortable, but keep in mind that a smaller tent will be warmer.
2. Ground cloth
3. Tarp with Rope to hang from trees for shade
4. Sleeping pad or air mattress and pump
5. Sleeping bag – Check the weather report. You will want a bag that will be warm enough, but you don't want something that will cause you to sweet.
1. Pants and belt
3. T-shirts (at least 1 long sleeve)
4. Socks – Make sure to have an extra pair or two
8. Hat/wool cap
10. Sandals for relaxing in camp
11. Hiking boots or hiking shoes
12. Rain gear
13. Fleece gloves or something similar
2. BioSoap (good for washing hair and dishes!)
3. Toothbrush/tooth paste
6. Toilet paper – You never know when the outhouse will run out
7. Any personal medications
10. Wash rag
11. Biowipes – I recently starting using these and they are great. No need for a wash rag
12. Bug repellent
1. Lantern with extra fuel and mantles
2. Compass and or GPS
3. Flash light/headlamp for that "hands free" lighting and extra batteries and bulb
5. Water filter (optional)
6. Camera with extra batteries and film
7. Book or magazine
8. Map of the area for hiking and exploring
9. Day pack
10. Hydration pack or water bottles
11. Fishing Gear and license
12. Camp chair
13. Sunglasses and case
14. First aid kit – Make sure to take a large one to leave in camp and a small one for hikes
15. Saw and/or axe
16. Pocket knife
17. Hiking pole(s)
19. Rope – for hanging tarp or a clothes line
20. Cards or other group games (I’m a cribbage man myself)
21. Duct Tape
22. Notebook and pencil or pen
25. Sewing kit